Thursday, June 03, 2010

Yay for Organic Waste!

The City of Burnaby is set to begin its Food Scrap Recycling Program on June 7 and I am so excited! Single or duplex residental homes can now leave any food scraps, egg shells, vegetable peels and even pizza boxes in their yard trimming bin to be picked up weekly by the City.

I was first introduced to this back when I lived in Toronto. They had green bins that was just for organic waste and it was great. The difference was they accepted plastic bags so I just kept a separate bag of organic material and dumped them during garbage days. Burnaby isn't allowing plastic bags for good reason that they don't decompose as easily as the items inside. So this will mean some creativity in ensuring an effective way to accumulate, dump and maintain the level of smell/dirtyness in the storage bins. It makes so much sense because I already kept the organics separate from the regular garbage so I could keep the rotten stuff and horrible smell contained in plastic bags.

It is a perfect complement in our household since we have already cut down on diaper garbage due to the use of cloth diapers. I am very interested to see how much less garbage we will accumulate after we divert the organics away from the garbage bins. At the moment, we accumlate less than half a bag of diaper garbage (keep in mind that Sofia isn't at home during the weekdays but grandma is good with cloth diapers as long as I provide clean ones for her every few days)

Now only if I could eliminate the use of wipes and ordering take out, then we would really be garbage-free!

Food Scrap Recycling Program in Burnaby

1 comment:

tres said...

i wish we could do the same thing in condos :P it's a great idea.

we've always used cloth wipes, but we're not using as many now...with gabe using the potty we clean up with tp :)