Thursday, June 04, 2009

Obama Obama I admire you

It all started last night when I switched on the TV. NBC is airing a 5-part series on Inside Obama's White House, an inside look at the new Obama administration, the Obama family and the White House. I was instantly hooked like this was reality TV minus the cheesy dialogue, cat-calling trash you see on TV nowadays. I was intrigued. The Obamas seem so authentic; opening up their home to viewers across the nation (yet protecting their children from the public/media); speak with such eloquence, and from the heart; passionate with objectivity; highly educated and credible to do the work bestowed by the American people

Interesting facts:
-Obamas have planted a huge garden on White House grounds. The veggies from the garden are used by the chefs in the White House as well as given to communities and neighbourhoods to use outside the White House.
-A big outdoor playground was constructed just outside the White House for the Obama kids to play in but the President also hoped that this could be used by any of the Administration Staff's children to use as well, since staff put in long hours and sacrifice family time to work in the White House.

Today, President Obama travelled to Cairo, Eygpt for his first speech to the Muslim world. Rob and I watched him speak with awe. What an amazing address to Muslims around the world. Having travelled and lived in different places around the world, I truly believe that countries like the US and Canada CANNOT parade into lesser developed countries with no respect nor knowledge of their culture, religion and history. I am disgusted with expats that think they are better (smarter, more educated etc.) than the locals. It was such a relief to hear President Obama using "we" instead of "I", talk about better dialogue and greater understanding to address issues in the Middle East and most of all, he related to Muslims (recited verses from the Holy Koran!)

Parts of his speech that were just plain awesome!!

Speaking of East vs. West
"So long as our relationship is defined by our differences, we will empower those who sow hatred rather than peace, those who promote conflict rather than the cooperation that can help all of our people achieve justice and prosperity. And this cycle of suspicion and discord must end."

"But I am convinced that in order to move forward, we must say openly to each other the things we hold in our hearts and that too often are said only behind closed doors. There must be a sustained effort to listen to each other, to learn from each other, to respect one another, and to seek common ground."

"When innocents in Bosnia and Darfur are slaughtered, that is a stain on our collective conscience. "

and I could go on and on...

Here's the link to watch his speech:

Once again, I'm proud of Americans for electing such an innovative and provocative President. I look forward to so much more from Barrack Obama.

No comments: