Finally, the sun is out, days are longer and boy is it nice and warm outside. I have been waiting for these days to arrive so I could start line drying the many loads of clothes/diapers I wash in a week. Currently, I estimate that I probably do 4-5 loads in a week which isn’t too bad considering this includes the cloth diapers. With the weather warming up, I am beginning to hang the laundry outside to dry naturally in the sun. There are so many benefits to drying in the sun that I don’t mind the extra 15 mins. it takes to hang the laundry outside.
Rae’s List of Benefits to Using Nature’s Dryer:
· Save electricity from not having to using the dryer
·The sun’s rays is a natural bleach, whitening/brightening clothes without having to rely on special detergents to do the work. This is perfect for whitening cloth diapers. Moreover, I can’t believe how soft the clothes/diapers are when line-dried so why spend money on fabric softeners filled with chemicals?
· The heat from the dryer can wear out clothes and cloth diapers over a period of time. Drying by sun is gentle and helps keep your stuff nice and new for longer wear. The is crucial for cloth diaper users because I’m hoping they will last until all the kids are potty trained!
· Dries quickly. If I hang them out in the morning, by mid afternoon, most of the clothes are dried
· Now with baby clothes thrown into the mix of laundering, the array of vibrant, bright colors make the clothes line so enjoyable and lovely to look at. Adult clothes just don’t have the vibrant pink, yellow and green hues.
· Isn’t it great that I get to do some housework outside? Soak in some vitamin D and increase my happy index. Did I mention I get to go outside and enjoy a breath of fresh air?
On the eve of Earth Day, I thought it would be fitting to reflect on an act so simple, so easy and free to use. I’m happy to do it and it’s earth friendly. I know I am far from living ‘green’ but I consider this a tiny step towards it. Why not? It’s beneficial to all.
Happy Earth Day and Go Canucks Go!
No comments:
Post a Comment