The due date was for Friday, Aug. 20th. That week was my first week having finally finished work on the 13th so I had plans to spend as much time with Sofia as I could and clean up the house.
Monday August 16: Took Sofia to visit Great-Grandma and had a morning playdate with her buddy Matthew. I was making plans to take Sofia to the beach the next day but realized soon enough that being so preggo, it's not that easy to chase around a toddler. There was no signs of any labor starting so I had tons of time...(not!)
Tuesday August 17: Woke up at 6am with contractions (oh oh). It was very similar to how it started with Sofia. I had dinner plans with the girls and a facial scheduled so wondered if I should cancel. Was this for real or not? There was no mucus plug but contractions were regular. Going to the beach with Sofia was out of the question so she was taken to Grandma's. Rob and I went out for breakfast at Chez Meme (our before birth tradition) and like with Sofia, the contractions went away later in the morning. I was frantic to clean the house so in the midst of contractions, I was dusting and telling Rob to clean this and that. Late afternoon, the contractions came back stronger but still bearable. We didn't know when to go to the hospital but finally at 6pm, we took off for St. Paul's. Rob thought that we would probably have to labor at the hospital since I seem to be able to deal with pain so I couldn't be that far along. I couldn't tell. At 7pm, the nurse checked and said I was 6cm dilated so away we went into a room to prep for the birth!
I think my body knew and became more relaxed once we made it to the hospital because the contractions came more regularly and I was feeling it (urgh!) I chose to go into the tub again and the nurse watched me while Rob went to move the car around 8pm. I swear I wasn't in the tub long before I started feeling that urge to push. The nurse told me to get onto the bed; my water broke and I was 9cm dilated!! OMG By now, I was in full on active labor but in the back of my mind, I was like, 'where's Rob?!?!' The nurses were very good at coaching me through the whole thing and by 8:10pm, our little speedy boy was out and into this world. Rob came back bewildered cuz there was nurses and docs in my room and a son waiting for him.
Nolan Jeun-Git Chin came out at a healthy 7lbs 1oz, 53 cm long. He definitely can compete with his sister's cries but so far has been screaming for milk, a change, a burp or a cuddle. I don't want to jinx myself but he seems to be able to sleep 3-4 hrs at night which works out to us waking up once or twice at night (not bad for a week old). The wonderful part of all is Sofia hasn't been disturbed by the middle of the night cries and there are moments during naptime in the afternoon and after 9pm when the house is quiet (love it!). My milk came much easier this time around; his feedings are good and he is close to regaining has birth weigh.
So how did Sofia adjust to her new baby brother? At first she didn't really want much to do with the baby nor had much interest. We gave her a doll (gift from Nolan) but she didn't really take to it. She's doesn't really have anything that she clings onto so i'm not surprised she hasn't taken to the baby doll. Slowly though, I see that she is talking about the baby more and wanting to see him and kiss him. I still think she is much more fascinated by dogs than babies but as Nolan gets bigger, they will have a blast together. Sofia hasn't shown any jealousy signs with Nolan using her stroller and taking up mom's time so i'm hoping that maybe it is one hurdle we don't have to go through.
We are now a family of four! Once I recover physically from the labor then can look forward to taking the both of them out and about. I can't even walk around Brentwood Mall without feeling sore down there =( I know...it's only been a week...
Enjoy a few photos:
Being drunk on milk -
Sofia & Nolan -
1 comment:
Wow, what a story! Nolan will love to hear that one when he's bigger. Congratulations family Chin!!
Post a Comment