Have you ever wondered what drama series back in the 1960s were like? Mad Men is a show based in NYC during the 1960s about the men and women who work at Madison Avenue Advertising Agency. I just watched the first two episodes and it sure was provocative but not only that, it made me uncomfortable. A kind of unease that what I was watching was not just plain wrong but was also the norm in everyday 1960s.
This was an era where smoking was as popular as iPods; everyone had one and smoked everywhere. It was also a period where respect for women in the workplace (heck, women in general) mirrored that of sewer rats.
The men smoked but women smoked as much. There was smoking in the office, in the bedroom and even during a doctor's routine checkup! It's hard to believe that in forty so years, so much has changed with smoking in the public.
I was disgusted by the sexual slurs and innuendos that were so in your face back then. Oh and let's not mention the casual touching/brush-by made on women in the workplaces that would definitely lead to charges of harrassment nowadays.
I know it's just a TV show but do appreciate its take on societal norms back in the 60s. Look forward to watching more =)
No comments:
Post a Comment