Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The end is here my dear...

We are a month away from Sofia's first birthday. As autumn is making its debut, I am hearing about babies being transitioned to daycare and moms returning back to work. I always knew I would go back to work but there was a time back in August when I wasn't quite sure...

I was suppose to return to my job in mid-Oct but received a call from work saying that due to the recent government cutbacks, our program would be decommissioned and my job would be no longer. I was shocked and of course stressed because I would not be eligible to collect EI since I've used up my allowable 50 weeks/year. I was also sad that our program was done for; I believed in its mission and we supported many small communities across BC with grant funding and other resources. But I had to accept my fate and move forward to do the dreaded job hunt. Oh I hated looking for work and with a child, it is only more challenging. Where would I go? What would I do? All questions that have since been answered because I have accepted a contract position at BC Children's Hospital Foundation (my previous workplace). They have been great in accommodating my request for only PT work for the first few weeks to transition Sofia to my inlaws despite their need for someone FT ASAP.

I started on Monday. Everything happened pretty fast that I didn't have the time to really think much about it all. This is probably a blessing in disguise. So far so good. Sofia is an angel with 'mama & yeye' but after the first day, she seem really fussy and clingy to me once she saw me. I think she just needs lots of cuddles from me to help with the adjustment. Tonight, she was quite a happy little girl when we picked her up so yay!

I have to say that it is kind of sad to think that I only get a hour or so to spend with her before we have to tuck her into bed. I do miss the time we spend together and cherish the time we do have together now when I breastfeed her in the mornings and at nights.

It makes me wonder if my missing her is something I will get used to later or whether I would be happier taking a PT job or finding something that I can work at from home. Time will tell with this little mystery.

Quick 11 month update:

-Seems like she's eating a bit more lately and taking in homo milk with her meals so hopefully she's continuing to gain weight
-A few weeks ago, she started clapping her hands, waving bye and blowing kisses. I believe it was Wheel of Fortune that got her clapping =)
-Communicating to us when she wants something. The frustrating thing is understanding what she wants. She just whines, yells and reaches her hand out.
-Climbing stairs (very slowly) and going down the slide on her own (feet pointing down on her tummy)

Memorable moment this week: Going over to pick up Sofia and going up the stairs to see her joyful, surprised look when she sees you and then crawling quickly over with so much happiness to give you a kiss, it melts your heart...it really does.

1 comment:

Sandee said...

aw, you went back to work early. that's great that sofia is adjusting to rob's parents well. we're looking forward to celebrating her birthday in a couple weeks!