Monday, January 05, 2009

c'mon baby pee pee for mommy

Other than breastfeeding, the other most talked about topics are cloth diapering and potty training, all related to baby waste. I thought I would try potty training Sofia in the new year.

There is this new trend called Elimination Communication (EC) where parents can start potty training babies as early as 6 weeks old. It really isn't a new thing as I know Chinese parents have been doing this for ages to minimize diaper cost and the hassle of changing a baby. For two weeks now, I have started getting Sofia used to the terms for peeing mainly "pee pee" and "shh shh". Before i change her out of her dirty diaper, I would wait about 5 mins and encourage her to go "pee pee" and go "shh shh". Amazingly, it is working! She would pee into the dirty diaper so at least she can now enjoy some more clean diaper time. It could be a coincidence but this is a great way to condition her to be used to the terms and she actually enjoys getting her diaper changed which is a bonus!

Today I tried sitting her in the baby potty. The whole process could be more seamless but it wasn't bad for my first time. I took her into the bathroom and put her on the potty which was on the counter in front of the mirror. This works well so she can see me say "pee pee" to her and I can see her expressions. She pretty much peed right away so 1/1 for the potty training! After her noontime feed, she would usually do no. 2 and I noticed her grunt a bit so rushed her to the potty and what do you know?!? She went no. 2 in the potty! (2/2!) During her afternoon nap, Sofia started crying abruptly. This can sometimes be a sign that she needs to pee so again I went to check her diaper. It was dry so I took her to the potty and voila! 3/3 for the potty today!

It was a successful day in the potty business :)

2 comments:

tres said...

congrats on the potty-training! gabe's gotten a bit irregular lately since he's been sick, so we're starting in a few weeks time. i'm not sure how i'll do with a boy :P

The Blommesteins said...

Wow! 3 for 3 right off the bat! That's awesome. I'm so glad we tried EC. Now we will ask Maddy if she is done when she is sitting there. Sometimes she'll shake her head 'no'. Surprisingly enough a couple seconds later, she'll be pushing again, so we think she really gets it. Sofia must be so cute and tiny on the potty.