In the summer, I had mentioned that the City of Burnaby implemented a Food Scraps program where you can dump your organics into the yard waste bin and they would pick up weekly. I am happy to report that we have been trying it out and love that we can recycle the organic stuff! It does require a few extra steps in our garbage routine but I think it is definitely worth it.
We started off with buying a ceramic compost container to keep the waste in the kitchen and then received another smaller version to keep next to the sink for convenience of everyday scraps we accumulate. The carbon filter keeps any smell from seeping through. The only nasty parts is dumping the scraps into the yard waste bin (stinks!) and having to clean out the container afterwards. However, we discovered (City actually recommends this) that by placing newspaper folded into a cone-shape into the container first before dumping the scraps, it actually prevents the organics from sticking to the container making it harder to clean. Now the cleaning part isn't so gross so thumbs up from me! We have been filling both containers up weekly so it's great that instead of it going to the dump, it's being composted. The City of Burnaby will be implementing a similar program into multi-family dwellings soon so it's great for those living in condos/townhomes.
Now if only I could get myself organized enough to get both kids on cloth diapers. Sofia is still using cloth diapers part time but disposables are just easier when we are out. Soon I hope...
1 comment:
That sounds great what Burnaby is doing... hopefully Vancouver will pick that up as well! Hope you all have great holiday :)
Post a Comment