Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Wow I have two kids...

Life is sure amazing but if you don't move fast enough, it will leave you behind. Does it have to move so fast?! Weeks feel like days and months fly by. I remember when we first found out about our little Nolan in early 2010, now we are soon to welcome another new year. wow.

We have settled into a schedule with the kids that I can't complain too much about. We all go by Sofia's schedule so both kids are asleep by 9ish and we have our own time for a few hours. Nolan has been waking up anywhere from 4-6am for a feed and then goes right back to sleep until big sis wakes up. Both seem to be able to go down for an afternoon nap most of the time but Nolan isn't real big on a regular nap schedule just yet so we're still working on that. He has been good with just falling asleep anywhere when he's tired. His eyes will glaze over and then he's out. I don't have to carry or rock him. At night, once he is swaddled, I can put him down awake, no mobile or music to help him sleep like we needed for Sofia. He just makes a sucking noise like he has a soother in his mouth and voila! Asleep. I know sleep regression well so am not celebrating just yet.

Day time potty trained? I guess you could say we are working on the pottying with Sofia. We didn't plan on it but Sofia developed pretty bad diaper rash & yeast infection that wouldn't go away so doctor suggested some diaper free time. I think it is because she has used more disposables lately and we don't use diaper rash cream on her regularly. So I introduced the idea of wearing 'fou fou' (underpants). It made sense to change her to pull-ups and real underwear to eliminate putting a diaper on while she was standing. She loved the idea and kept saying, "no pin pin" (no diaper). At first we kept asking her if she had to go and she would say no and refused to go leading to a few accidents and her telling us after the fact. Then came Mr. Timer. We would set the timer to 45mins (on avg) and not ask her unless we noticed signs. Once the timer goes off, she gets the cue and it is Mr. Timer reminding her to go potty and she goes. She probably doesn't have to go right away but there's always a decent amount of pee. Then we reset and continue with our day. It's also a way to remind us it's about time to take her as we tend to forget and time flies by and she ends up having an accident by the time she does tell us. So it's a win-win solution because we don't have to force her to go, she just walks to the bathroom herself. I think it will be awhile before we are fully potty trained as her night time diaper is super wet in the mornings but we're proud that there is less tantrums relating to pottying.

I watched this video taken back in April and Sofia still had her wispy baby hair and we still had the mirror in the bathroom. She has definitely grown up with a pixie bob and although still a tiny gal, she can now reach for door knobs, walk up stairs with ease (with assistance) and climb up and down chairs. She is still that silly girl that makes mom laugh hard. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/user/rfffd1#p/a/u/0/AwRao93wHo8

1 comment:

The Blommesteins said...

I Like your timer idea!!! Definitely going to use that one with Ethan. Glad to hear that things are going well.