Thursday, January 14, 2010

Honolulu-bound!

It will be an insane two weeks ahead. I will be going back into working mom mode beginning Feb. 1st with a contract position with the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. We thought since we probably won't have time the rest of the year to take off somewhere, why not leave dreary Vancouver for a sunny, kid-friendly destination? So Honolulu here we come!

As this is our first plane trip with Sofia, you can imagine, I laid awake a few nights thinking how we were going to do this?!?

Well, here are a few things we tried with Sofia in prepping for the trip:

1. Potty in the big toilet

Success! She embraced it right when I offered it to her! She has seen us go in the big potty so it was an easy transition to get to sit where mom and baba do their business. I also think she likes hearing the sound of her business going into the water hehe Now we have eliminated the step of having to clean up the little potty. The downside of this is the toilet is way too big for her so we aren't able to leave her alone in the bathroom to do stuff and have to watch her. She is of course fascinated with touching the TP and touches the toilet with her hands (gotta keep the toilet clean all the time now). So that eliminates us having to bring the potty with us and instead we will bring a foldable toilet seat.



2. Sleeping with the musical doggie

We had been using an ol' skool wind up mobile for her to listen to before going to bed. I didn't want to bring that thing with us to Hawaii so thought maybe we could get her used to listening and sleeping with her musical Leap Frog doggie. This thing is amazing and can do 2, 5, or 10 mins. of bedtime lullabies. I was envisioning her in the middle of the night being woken up from accidentally hitting one of the buttons but so far, it's working. In fact, this afternoon, I found her sitting up and a light show going on cuz she was pressing the buttons.

3. Drinking from a straw

Halluluah! Thanks to Rob, she started drinking from a straw this week. She drank from a straw when she was 7 months old and then learned to blow bubbles so I stopped giving it to her and then she forgot. I could never figure out how to get her to do it again until baba took charge and voila! Now she is drinking a straw like a pro and she drinks milk so much faster and more of it than with sipping a cup. I haven't given her the Foogo to try yet but the hope is she would drink from there when we are in Hawaii. In any case, we just need a straw and she will be fine.

Now, onto the packing...

No comments: