Sunday, May 10, 2009

Marley & Me

Just finished watching Marley & Me. For the dog lovers out there, this movie is sure to shed a tear (in my case, I bawled my eyes out). It wasn't an Academy Award winner but sure did tug at the heartstrings. It made me realize, I didn't become a mother just 6 months ago. I was already a mother 12 years ago when my sweet Belle came into our lives.

She is hyper, tri-color beagle that sheds lots (was tricked by the short coat of hair) and has a chronic ear infection. She is the perfect dog who waited for us each day by the door and hoped eagerly that we would pick up the leash so we could go for a walk. I loved going on walks with her. It was like having someone there to accompany you without the need for any small talk or idle chitchat. Just me, my thoughts and Belle. The perfect way to unwind. I also enjoyed our grooming times where I would just sit on the porch steps and comb her hair. The whole procedure took over 30 mins. but it was enjoyable for the both of us.

I guess the movie reminded me of how much time we have spent together and the memories we share. I never really kept a journal of all the things we did but she was there: when I went away for my short stints abroad; when I got married; when Sofia was born. We all know Belle is an old dog and lately, she has had some health scares that just hits me with the reality that she is an old dog. It was discovered that she has arthritis and there are tumors (one in ear and the other in the mouth) on her body. We were given the option of an operation to remove the tumors. I'm scared about what else we'll find out that's wrong with her and yes I am definitely scared about the possibility of one day losing her. Afterall, she's my first child that I cared for and she is so much a part of my life as I have been in hers.

So on Mother's Day, I appaud all mothers of children and pets. We have been blessed with this wonderful opportunity to show love and nurture to others. It is a great privilege and the rewards from doing so is boundless. Happy Mother's Day!


They will always be my two little ones =)

1 comment:

Lon said...

happy momma's day! it's been ages! come back to t.o.