I've determined that Sofia has a pretty strong personality. She will demand and whine until she gets her way and seems to be riding on an emotional coaster most days. It's a personality most likely inherited from my side of the family as Rob's side is so laid back. How do parents deal with children with strong personalities? Do you let them know who's boss??
We have been dealing with a situation where Sofia is determined that only I can tuck her in to bed to sleep at night. She will let Rob read to her but as soon as the lights are off, she will look for mummy and cry/whine until I show up. She would literally stop crying, smile and nod off to sleep only seconds after I stand by her crib and hold her hand. I have to admit, it is a lovely feeling to know someone needs you so much.
So tonight, we decided that I would not go in after Rob to calm her and let her go to sleep on her own after daddy tucks her in. I would only say good night and give her a kiss and then off she goes with daddy. She cried but surprisingly, it only lasted less than 5 mins (she was very tired though) so it would only make sense to have Rob tuck her in from now on so she gets used to it.
However, deep inside, I still want to tuck her in at night. It won't make it easier for Rob even if we alternate nights but bedtime is sure a special time. Even thinking about it now, it gives me a warm, happy feeling. What a special time of the day where you can spend some quiet time cuddling and kissing your little one. I'm thinking I'll also have trouble giving up on breastfeeding too!
It's just absolutely amazing how far we have come from day one as new parents, learning to feed and care for the baby.
1 comment:
ah, another strong willed girl over here. Aly has a strong preference for mom too. What to Expect says to make sure you give dad lots of quality time, especially with mom absent. But it's a stage that will last a while I think because mom is around so much more than dad is.
Post a Comment