Thursday, July 31, 2008

Midsummer babies

Congrats to all the new parents of midsummer July babies!

Trevor Lowe born on July 18 in Toronto, ON
Elizabeth Ho born on July 26 at BC Women’s

Time sure is passing by quickly. It seems like eons ago when we first found out about the baby as well as others around who were expecting in the summer and now they are new parents enjoying their bundle of joy in their arms. I’ve entered Week 28 now and officially in my last trimester of gestation. I passed my gestational diabetes test which means no more chugging orange fizzy drink! The baby is an active one indeed. Last night, I was watching my tummy and one side was definitely sticking out like a leg stretching. I didn’t quite see the foot but it was bizarre enough to witness your own tummy look like it’s alien-possessed.

During our prenatal classes, I find the baby extra active. Sometimes I wonder if the baby is extra active because she can sense the other babies around her. I also find this when going to my yoga classes surrounded by other pregnant mommies.

Some interesting tidbits I’ve picked up from our prenatal class:
· Have you ever heard of a breast crawl? This is where a new baby finds their way to their mother’s breast? Watch it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3oPb4WdycE
· During a Caesarian birth, the Anesthesiologist has the most power in the surgery room; even the OB is second in line in terms of the surgery room pecking order. The Anesthesiologist can determine who gets to be in the surgery room along with mother.

Another summer long weekend is coming up. We’ll finally have a good two days to work on the downstairs renovations so let’s hope for some progress!

Anyone have advice to pass on to me about when babies should wear shoes like Robeez or booties? Baby will be born in October so I’m guessing for the first few months, it will be mostly socks that she will need until spring comes when we get to go out more. Any other good recommendations on good baby shoes? I can’t believe they are $30 a pair!

Happy 150th BC!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I've only worn socks for Nora. I have a couple pairs of robeez shoes but haven't used any of them yet - it's prob more of a fashion statement than an actual need for shoes.

Happy 3rd trimester... it's fun watching your belly move as the baby moves. Kinda bizarre feeling being kicked from the inside!

Sandee said...

Only socks for Aly too, and she mostly goes barefoot in the summer. I haven't used any of the robeez or booties that i've been given...i think the robeez are more for when walking starts to give them more grip on the floor.

The Blommesteins said...

Maddy was born in Oct too and wore those pjs with the footed bottoms so there really was no need for shoes. I agree with the socks if she's wearing pants. Later on we used her Robeez (around 3 months) but not out of need. Mostly cuz they were given to us and so cute, I didn't want them to go to waste. Mostly they helped to keep her socks on.