Tuesday, January 29, 2008

January 2008: I am back

After more than 6 months away from blogging, it is decidedly so that tonight would be the night I return. Yes this blog is still alive and I have been waiting for the opportunity of time along with a reflective state to start posting again. As you can also see, the blog has changed its look, name and feel. I felt it was only appropriate since I am no longer living in Tajikland and Rob is clearly not the writer in the family =P I feel so empowered to be writing again. It is such a release for my mind and soul. ahhh it's good to be back.

Life post-Tajikistan is indescribable. It left such a mark with me that up to now, I am unsure how I feel. I don't miss living in such terrible conditions, which from reading the article, (http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2008%5C01%5C30%5Cstory_30-1-2008_pg4_16), Tajiks are going through another terrible winter. There has been extreme cold temperatures recorded; freezing rivers are causing hydro stations to shut down due to low water levels. This means most cities and for sure villages will have only 1-2 hrs of power in a day. Gosh, that memory is still so vivid of how it was to live like that but let's not dwell on that shall we? I mean it is impossible to think of power and water cuts controlling your life and having to make that your #1 priority need to satisfy. Now, I barely think twice about whether I have power or water when I flip on a switch or turn on a tap. I disgress...I don't miss living there but the thought of friends and the memories of being there just makes me yearn to beam over to rekindle the senses.

I am living in a completely different paradigm since coming back to Vancouver. It's very typical of me I guess, to go from one extreme to another but again it's very atypical of most normal Canadians to have done what I did. The one thing I really desired once returning to my homeland was to find home and have some down time. I was tired of living in a suitcase (don't mind the simplicity but could lose the 'lugging' of suitcases) and tired of all the planning for all the crazy experiences and just wanted to relax and truly enjoy my life. How do I enjoy life you ask? Spend time with my dog, watching her jump around in the snow like a rabbit, taking walks with her and Rob and watching cheesy TV shows like Grey's and Cashmere Mafia (I know it doesn't add to the IQ but it sure is relaxing!














Now that we have settled down in Vancouver with our new home, I find myself being drawn to the world of home decor, getting new pieces of furniture and starting a herb garden! I am excited with the direction I am headed. No I am not going to be like my friends around the world who are working for World Vision in Pakistan, doing an internship with NATO or going to Liberia but I am so glad I have met them and support the work and path that they have chosen.

Owlthought: every direction you chose, every decision you make comes with it a package of benefits and sacrifices. It is a done deal. Does it mean you should avoid going big and beyond your comfort zone? Heck no, go with full force with no return and realize that it isn't always greener on the other side. But whatever you decide on, go with the flow and enjoy it. Life is too short to worry about whether the decision was a right one. Sometimes, you just need to make it and along with some divine intervention, voila, a journey with many adventures and memories to last an eternity.

Happy snowy January!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool, welcome back, looking forward to following along!

congrats on the new home, looking forward to staying in it!