On the eve of Christmas weekend, I would like to post an update on my power/gas/water situation. Thank you for all your prayers. The power seems to have stabilized this week with approx. 4-5 hours at night and about the same in the mornings. I can now start cooking again and can see myself in the bathroom mirror in the mornings! Water also seems to coordinate with the power again so I’m able to take showers at home now. Finally, I was told that our building gets gas for two hours in the day and two at night. For the last 3 months, I could not figure our why I didn’t have gas. Well, thanks to my coworker, Anwar, it turns out the two gas valves were turned off! So no need for any ‘masters’ (servicemen) to come, just needed the right person who knew where to look!And if you haven’t heard the biggest news coming out of Central Asia yet…Saparmyrat Niyazov (Turkmenbashi), President of Turkmenistan has died of a heart attack at age 66. He is known for his cult personality and building an oppressive regime which is despised by human rights’ groups as well as neighbouring countries. A country full of oil and gas, the citizens actually don’t have to pay for gas/oil and get free bread! There is lots of commentary about this event as now the politics surrounding this country may change and neighbouring countries such as Iran, Afghanistan now have possible access to the resources. Also, the country has been under the rule of this one man for two decades so who will succeed him?
Photo taken in Isfara: I absolutely love this region. The air is fresh; the mountains are speckled with snow; the sound of the river is melody to my ears. The only caveat is it is also where Islamic conservatism is highly concentrated and is not the safest place to be. I haven’t noticed it during my visits as everyone seems so friendly and hospitable. Early congrats to Aaron and Bonnie who will get married on December 29, 2006!!
I know there are many blessings this year with newlywed couples and new babies into families. Whoever and wherever you are, cherish this time to spend with all those you love. Once again, have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (s novim godum).
Love,
Rachel

1 comment:
Hey Rachel, merry christmas, and a happy new year from the wongs!
Post a Comment